In Episode #15 Nick is on location with life long fly fisherman Glen Blackwood. For the last 30 years, Glen has been a fly fishing instructor, guide, national sales manager, and now owns and operates the Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company in Rockford, Michigan. Glen is also known for his knowledge of American sporting literature and authors the Pages Past column for Upland Almanac magazine, as well as book reviews for the Ruffed Grouse Society’s publication. As a collector, dealer and appraiser of angling and shooting books, he has lectured on this topic and appraised collections in the Midwest.
Also this week in the “Passing Down Traditions” segment I take a couple minutes to share a website and some words about taking a kid fishing. Out traditions are kept alive by the youths we can introduce to the outdoors.
- Trout Fishing updates with Steve and Nick
- Introduction to Glen Blackwood
- How Glen got started in Fly Fishing
- Writing, Glen’s writing and his thoughts on other Fly Fishing authors
- It’s not the size or quantity of fish that makes the memory
- All fish are professional eaters
- The Garden and Cheeseburger analogies of picking the correct fly
- Passing Down Traditions Mid-roll – Take a kid fishing
- Just get out there, ignore the reasons not to
- Except lightning…..pay attention to lighting!
- Fly fishing or upland bird hunting, if you had to choose?
Please subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave us a rating and review. We would also appreciate ideas for future podcasts so let us know what you would like to hear or make recommendations for guests on the show.